Meals are prepared freshly every day in our school kitchen. The children choose and order their lunches at the start of the school day.
On the tables, the children can all choose from a bread basket and selection of salad to accompany their meals. Our lunchtime routines are planned to help the children take responsibility for their food choices and develop their social skills, of sharing and helping each other, as they eat.
We encourage children to develop healthy eating habits during school dinner times. The daily menu includes a ‘treat’ pudding option; where a child has not eaten much or any of their main meal, we will be encourage them to choose a healthier fruit or yogurt option for pudding. Hopefully everyone will enjoy their main course but what we don’t want to happen is a child to start the afternoon after only eating a pudding!
Parents are regularly invited to come and share the primary lunch time experience with the children.
We provide some local produce in our school meals, which helps support the local community and also cuts down on food miles. The following produce is sourced from within a 40 mile radius of South Gloucestershire:
- Potatoes and carrots from Duchy Home Farm – Tetbury, Gloucester
- Fresh Beef and Pork from Ensors – Cinderford
- Poultry from Freemans of Newent – Usk Vale Poultry – Monmouthshire
- Eggs from Manor Farm – Burnett
- Cheese from Alvis Bros – Lye Cross Farm – Redhill, Bristol
- Marshfield Biscuits from Marshfield Bakery – Marshfield Nr Chippenham
- Ice Cream from Marshfield Farm – Marshfield Nr Chippenham
The service is accredited with ISO14001 for its Environmental Management System. We recycle where possible cooking oil, paper, tins and vegetable waste for compost.
All infant pupils are offered lunches free of charge.